The Bread Builders: Hearth Loaves and Masonry Ovens
Frankie G's note: This is the book that started my love of and for woodfired ovens. I built MY OVEN directly from the pages of this book. This book explains building an oven from ground up, and baking hearth-bread from grain to loaves. It's a must for anyone considering building an oven or baking bread from scratch.
Creating the perfect loaf of bread--a challenge that has captivated bakers for centuries--is now the rage in the hippees places, from Waitsfield, Vermont, to Point Reyes Station, California. Like the new generation of beer drinkers who consciously seek out distinctive craft-brewed beers, many people find that their palates have been reawakened and re-educated by the taste of locally baked, whole-grain breads. Today's village bakers are finding an important new role--linking tradition with a sophisticated new understanding of natural levens, baking science and oven construction.
Daniel Wing, a lover of all things artisinal, had long enjoyed baking his own sourdough bread. His quest for the perfect loaf began with serious study of the history and chemistry of bread baking, and eventually led to an apprenticeship with Alan Scott, the most influential builder of masonry ovens in America.
Alan and Daniel have teamed up to write this thoughtful, entertaining, and authoritative book that shows you how to bake superb healthful bread and build your own masonry oven. The authors profile more than a dozen small-scale bakers around the U.S. whose practices embody the holistic principles of community-oriented baking based on whole grains and natural leavens.
The Bread Builders will appeal to a broad range of readers, including:
- Connoisseurs of good bread and good food.
- Home bakers interested in taking their bread and pizza to the next level of excellence.
- Passionate bakers who fantasize about making a living by starting their own small bakery.
- Do-it-yourselfers looking for the next small construction project.
- Small-scale commercial bakers seeking inspiration, the most up-to-date knowledge about the entire bread-baking process, and a marketing edge.